After obtaining first class honours in both architecture and law from the University of Hong Kong and the Bachelor of Civil Law from the University of Oxford, Calvin joined Des Voeux Chambers in 2006.
Calvin’s practice covers a broad range of areas, with special emphasis in company and commercial law, construction disputes, bankruptcy and insolvency law and property and trust matters. He has also advised and appeared in cases relating to obtaining and discharging commercial injunctions and appointment of receivers.
Apart from appearing in Courts and Tribunals of various levels, he is also regularly instructed to appear in arbitrations.
In addition to his private practice, Calvin is a Contributing Editor of “Hong Kong Construction Law” and a Consultant Editor of the Hong Kong Law Reports and Digest. He has also been a speaker in various seminars on arbitration and company law topics.
Calvin Cheuk is a Recommended Junior Counsel in Hong Kong’s Construction and Barristers list in the 2017 edition of Doyles.
- Beacon Hill (IO) v Match Power Investment Ltd  5 HKLRD 107
- Gao Haiyan & Anor v Keeneye Holdings Ltd  3 HKC 157
- Marcus Praetorius v Head Architecture and Design Ltd HCA 1057/2013
- Unitress v The Pressure Piling Co. (Hong Kong) Limited and others ESS 21671-21676/2009 28 February 2011
- HKSAR v The Pressure Piling Co. (Hong Kong) Limited and others ESS 21671-21676/2009 28 February 2011
- Successfully defended the Defendants against charges brought under section 40(2B)(b) of the Buildings Ordinance, Cap 123 after a 22-day trial involving the tilting of a building in Hong Kong.
- Chow Fu Hsien v K Vision International Investment (HK) Ltd HCA 2884/2004 17 November 2009
- Represented the Plaintiff (and was led by Ms Lisa Wong SC) and successfully enforced a trust deed relating to a large scale property development in Beijing against the defendant company.
- BSC Interior Contract and Engineering Company Ltd v Shinta CACV 325/2008 23 October 2009
- Represented the Defendant (and was led by John Scott SC) in a dispute which concerned the existence of an oral collateral agreement during construction.
- The Official Receiver v Lui Fu Sing and another HCMP 1922/2008 8 June 2010
- Represented the Official Receiver and successfully obtained a disqualification order against the former directors of a company in liquidation.
- Sun Focus Investment Ltd v Tang Shing Bor & another HCA 538/2007 22 October 2009
- Represented the Defendants and successfully struck out the Plaintiff’s statement of claim relating to a property development in Shanghai, the PRC.
- Paul Y Management Ltd v Eternal Unity Development and Others HCA 571/2007 1 June 2009
- Represented the Defendants and successfully resisted the Plaintiff’s strike-out application relating to a property development in the PRC.
- Clare, Baroness Baillieu v The Foreign Correspondent’s Club, Hong Kong HCMP 1567/2006 7 November 2008
- Represented the Plaintiff and successfully obtained a declaration against the Foreign Correspondent’s Club, Hong Kong after a 4-day trial.
- Represented an employer to resist a contractor’s claims relating to, inter alia, extension of time, variations and direct loss and expenses.
- Represented a contractor in an arbitration principally concerning the claim for loss of profits arising from construction defects brought by an employer.
- Represented a Hong Kong property developer (and was led by Philip Boulding QC and Anthony Houghton SC) in arbitration proceedings against its main contractor of a large scale property development comprising a hotel, offices and service apartments.
- Bar Scholarship (2004)
- Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship (2003)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship for Overseas Studies (2003)
- Johnson, Stokes and Master Scholarship in Law (2002)
- C V Starr Scholarship (2001)
- Ho Fook Prize in Architecture (1999)
- Contributing Editor of “Hong Kong Construction Law” (LexisNexis) since 2007.
- Consultant Editor of the Hong Kong Law Reports and Digest from June 2011.
- Speaker on “Construction and Arbitration: A Practical Guide”
- Speaker (together with Mr Barrie Barlow SC and Mr Yang-Wahn Hew) on “Issues arising from Companies Winding-up proceedings of which (former) Directors should be aware”
- Speaker (together with Mr Jose Maurellet) on Minority Shareholders’ Remedies.
Cantonese, English, Mandarin