Cherry is developing a broad practice in civil and commercial law. She has been involved in a wide range of cases including commercial disputes, securities, company, insolvency and bankruptcy, competition, intellectual property, probate, land, judicial review and regulatory matters.
Cherry obtained her LLB degree from the University of Hong Kong with First Class Honours, ranking top of her year. She proceeded to read the BCL at Oxford University and graduated with a distinction in competition law. She was awarded the Rhodes Scholarship in 2013 and the Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship in 2016.
Prior to joining Chambers as a tenant in 2016, Cherry completed pupillage with William Wong, SC, Johnny Ma, Rachel Lam and Derek CL Chan.
Cherry is a native Mandarin speaker and is fluent in English and Cantonese.
- The Securities and Futures Commission v Young Bik Fung & Others (unrep., CACV 33/2016, 9.11.2017), representing the defendants in the landmark case concerning the application of s.300 of the SFO to transactions involving securities conducted on overseas stock exchanges, which is the first case in Hong Kong concerning s.300 of the SFO. The case is now on appeal to the Court of Final Appeal.
- Sky Joy Invesment Limited v Zheng Dunmu & Anor. (unrep., HCA 395/2016, 16.8.2017), representing the plaintiff in a dispute over the equitable interest in the shares in a listed company, which concerned the creation of equitable mortgage and priority between competing equitable interests.
- Better Marine International Limited v Zhong Shan Company Limited (unrep., HCA 958/2014, 30.11.2016), representing the plaintiff in a dispute over the commission under a ship building brokerage contract.
- Million-Add Development Ltd v Nok Wah Logistic (Hong Kong) Co Ltd (unrep., HCA 2873/2015, 09.09.2016), representing the plaintiff in an O.14 application for summary judgment for, inter alia, possession of property, damages, and an account of profit.
- Sap Products Ltd v Xena Security Ltd & Another (unrep., DCCJ 2014/2015, 30.12.2016), representing the second defendant in an application to strike out the statement of claim.
- Sugisaki Kiso Co., Ltd v Hsin Chong Construction Company Limited & Another (unreported, HCCT 13/2017, 18.6.2017), representing a foreign plaintiff and successfully resisted the defendants’ application for security for costs.
- Rhodes Scholarship (2013)
- Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship 2016
- Maxwell Law Prize 2013
- Law Society of Hong Kong Prize in Professional Practice and Management 2013
- Hou De Charitable Foundation Scholarship for the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws Programme (2012-2013)
- The Bank of East Asia Scholarship (2011-2012)
- M.W. Lo Memorial Scholarships (2011-2012)
- The Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries Scholarships (2011-2012)
- Rowdget W Young Medal in Law (2011-2012)
- Professor Dafydd Evans Memorial Scholarship Class 1972 (2011-2012)
- The Des Voeux Chambers Junior Scholarship (2010-2011)
- Bank of East Asia Golden Jubilee Scholarship (2010-2011)
- Chan Kai Ming Prize (2009-2010)
- Linklaters Prize for Overall Excellence in Law: Year II (2009-2010)
- Madam Lau Kit Fong (Sau Chee) Memorial Scholarship (2009-2010)
- The Sola Gratia Foundation Scholarships (2009-2010)
- Dean’s Honours List (2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2011-2012)
- “Copyright Protection in the Digital Age: A Tripartite Balance”, Hong Kong Law Journal, Vol. 42, Part 3 of 2012 (Autumn 2012)
- Tutor in Contract Law, University of Hong Kong (2017)
English, Cantonese, Mandarin