Connie has obtained double First Class Honours in both BSS (Govt. & Laws) and LLB at the University of Hong Kong as well as her master degree in Bachelor of Civil Law at the University of Oxford.
She was awarded the Bar Scholarship in 2008 before she joined Chambers in 2009.
She has a broad civil and commercial practice with particular emphasis on company and insolvency matters. She has been instructed in making applications such as appointment of provisional liquidators and for scheme of privatization and arrangements. She acts for liquidators and trustees in bankruptcy as well as receivers from time to time.
She has experience in representing directors of listed companies in disciplinary proceedings of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (both before the Listing Committee and the Listing Appeal Committee).
She is actively developing a competition law practice and has experience in advising on competition law matters. In 2016, she was appointed to the Competition Commission’s Panel of External Counsel. She was also selected by the Hong Kong Bar Association to undertake a secondment at Brick Court Chambers in London where she spent two weeks with Mr. Robert O’ Donoghue (appointed as Queen’s Counsel since January 2017), a leading competition practitioner.
Company & Insolvency:
- SFC v. Hontex International Holdings Co. Ltd & Ors CACV 128/2012 & HCMP 630/2010, acted for the SFC (led by Mr. Simon Westbrook S.C & appearing with Mr. Roger Beresford) in the first trial for substantive order under section 213 of the Securities and Futures Ordinance Cap. 571 (settled on the 13th day of the trial)
- Re: WDI International (HK) Limited HCA1973/2012, principles regarding the grant of Wallersteiner Order after the conclusion of the derivative action.
- Re: Asia Television Limited HCCW 39/2016, representing the Protection of Wages on Insolvency Fund Board
- Re: Everglory Energy Limited HCCW 198/2016, a shareholders’ petition involving application for urgent injunctive relief and opposing application for validation order (led by Mr. Ronny Tong S.C) and obtained an order to reconstitute the Board pending trial (led by Mr. Chua Guan Hock S.C).
- Re: Lau William John  2 HKLRD 404, acted for the Trustees in Bankruptcy in respect of an application for their removal.
- Re HNA Group Co. Ltd  4 HKLRD 463, costs upon withdrawal of a winding up petition.
- Re: Pedagogic Innovations Limited  1 HKLRD 613, stay of voluntary winding up under section 228A of the Companies (Winding Up and Miscellaneous Provisions) Ordinance Cap. 32 (appearing with Mr. Jose Maurellet).
- Re Pacific Bulk Shipping Ltd HCMP 1244/2015, acted for the Receivers applying for interim relief and declaratory relief as to the validity of the ir appointment.
- Re Hairun Media Group Limited HCMP3045/2014, deferring the dissolution of the Company under section 239(4) of the Companies (Winding Up and Miscellaneous Provisions) Ordinance Cap. 32.
- Re Xi Yu HCB 2847/2014, annulment of bankruptcy order pursuant to section 33(1)(b) of the Bankruptcy Ordinance Cap. 6.
- Re: Surani Bhupendra Jivarajbhai HCB 12522/2009, acted for the Trustees in Bankruptcy and obtained an order under section 30A of the Bankruptcy Ordinance Cap. 6 that the discharge of the Bankrupt should cease to run for a period of 3 years and 6 months.
- Re: Ng Tze Ching HCB 5883/2006, order for sale under section 60 of the Bankruptcy Ordinance Cap. 6
- Chan Yu Ling Abraham & Ors v. Purapharm International Ltd HCMP2148, 2149, 2151, 2153 to 2158/2013, clarified the difference between inadvertence and indifference in granting relief under sections 111(2) and 122(1B) of the former Companies Ordinance for the failure to hold AGMs and/or to lay the accounts.
- Re SNE Engineering Company Ltd HCCW 308/2012, striking out of a winding up petition (appearing with Mr. Jose Maurellet);
- Shagang Shipping Co. Ltd v. Guofeng Enterprise Group Ltd HCMP536/2012, obtained an injunction to restrain the presentation of the winding up petition (appearing with Mr. Jose Maurellet).
- Re Fexon Enterprises Ltd HCMP 2239/2012, inspection of documents under section 152FA of the former Companies Ordinance Cap. 32;
- Re Willwin Development (Asia) Company HCMP 2076/2012, application to convene general meeting under section 114B of the former Companies Ordinance Cap. 32;
- Re-Wheelock Properties Ltd  4 HKLRD 857, appeared for the majority shareholders of a listed company, the acquirer in the petition confirming a scheme of privatization.
General Civil & Commercial:
- Leung Pik Wa v. Poh Po Lian & Luck Continent Limited HCA 681/2011, a 7-day trial concerning the beneficial ownership of around 46.2% shares of a Hong Kong listed company (led by Dr. William Wong S.C).
- New World TMT Limited v. Zhou Yipei & Ors HCMP115/2017, HCA 1954/2015, HCMP1258/2015 & HCMP 1911/2015, represented the Plaintiff to enforce a foreign judgment of over US$4 billion which included obtaining Norwich Pharmacal relief.
- Leung Po Po v. Olympic Leader International Ltd  2 HKLRD 1178, confirming the Court has jurisdiction and power to order an agent or servant of a party to answer interrogatories
- Oriental Press Group Limited v. Inmediahk.net. Ltd  2 HKLRD 1004, a libel trial in respect of publications on websites and obtained Norwich Pharmacal relief.
- Value Capital Ltd v. Ke Jun Xiang  1 HKLRD 1011 an application for setting aside a regular default judgment involving principles on conditional delivery of bills of exchange.
- Goei Tsusho Co. Ltd v Leader Engineering & Construction Ltd and Anco-Tech (H.K)  2 HKLRD 1084, an appeal involving principles on ostensible authority (appearing with Mr. Anson Wong).
- Source Smart Asia Limited v. New Element Garment Limited CACV 267/2009, an appeal concerning the chain of causation of damage in a sales of goods claim (appearing with Mr. Anson Wong)
Employment & Anti-Discrimination:
- Mak Wai Man & Ors v. Richfield Realty Limited HCLA 28 to 31/2015, an appeal from the Labour Tribunal concerning a claim for holiday pay (led by Mr. Anson Wong S.C).
- Lit Yu Yau & Chung Cheuk Wai v. Richfield Realty Limited HCLA 23/2012, an appeal from the Labour Tribunal concerning a claim for payment of bonus.
- Tung Lai Lam v. Oriental Press Group & Anor DCEO 6/2011, striking out a claim for discrimination by way of victimization brought under section 7 of the Disability Discrimination Ordinance Cap. 487.
- H v. The Sun News Publisher Limited DCEO 1/2013, trial involving a vilification claim brought under section 46 of the Disability Discrimination Ordinance Cap. 487.
- L v. Oriental Press Group & Ors DCEO 3/2014, striking out a vilification claim brought under sections 46 & 49 of the Disability Discrimination Ordinance Cap. 487.
Advising on the merits of a potential claim for unlawful discrimination and harassment in the employment context.
- Acted for a format licence owner in obtaining an interim injunction in aid of arbitration (led by Ms. Winnie Tam S.C)
- Acted for Chinese real estate developers in an arbitration involving a counter-claim of over US$500 million and applied for an interim injunction before the arbitration was commenced (led by Mr. Clifford Smith S.C).
- Smart Wealth Asia Pacific Ltd v. The Incorporated Owners of Kelly Court LDBM 251/2013, appointed an administrator under section 31 of the Building Management Ordinance Cap. 344 pending the determination of the application for compulsory sale.
- Poon Chi Hung William v. The Incorporated Owners of Tak Wing Industrial Building LDBM 247/2011, resisting an application for interlocutory injunction restraining the Incorporated Owners from acquiring an external wall.
For a more complete list of cases in which Connie appeared as Counsel, please visit the Judiciary Website at http://legalref.judiciary.gov.hk/lrs/common/ju/judgment.jsp; where you can access the list by using the advanced search function.
- The Bar Scholarship (2008)
- The Middle Temple Scholarship (2008)
- Peter Vine Postgraduate Law Scholarship (2007)
- HKU Worldwide Undergraduate Exchange Scholarship (2005)
- HKU Dean’s Honours List (2005)
- S.P.C.S (Toronto) Alumni Scholarship (2002)
- Panel of External Counsel to the Competition Commission since 2016
- Member, Hong Kong Bar Association, Committee on Competition Law since 2016
- Member, Hong Kong Bar Association, Committee on Bar’s Website (2013-2016)
- Hong Kong Bar Association’s List of Mediators
- Part-time Tutor in Contract Law, University of Hong Kong (2010)
- Contributing Editor, Hong Kong Civil Procedure (the “White Book”) (Sweet & Maxwell) since 2015
- Contributor, Lexis Practical Guidance – Dispute Resolution
Cantonese, English, Putonghua