Jenkin obtained his BCL (Bachelor of Civil Law) degree from the University of Oxford. Prior to joining the Bar, he was attached with the Hong Kong and Beijing offices of Clifford Chance, a leading international law firm. Jenkin joined DVC as a tenant in 2004, and has since been specializing in company, insolvency and land law.
Jenkin has an extensive practice in commercial and Chancery matters, and excels particularly in advocacy and trial works. He frequently appears in the Companies court in common law and statutory derivative actions, minority shareholders’ disputes and applications under the Companies Ordinance, such as capital reduction and section 122 applications. In addition, Jenkin is regularly instructed by the Department of Justice and the Official Receiver on numerous high-profile cases, including in particular land and insolvency disputes. Recently, he successfully defended the Director of Lands in an action by a developer and the Secretary for Development in the first appeal brought under the Urban Renewal Authority Ordinance.
Alongside his private practice, Jenkin has written extensively in the legal field. He is the author of the chapter “Meetings and Resolutions” in Company Law in Hong Kong - Practice and Procedure, and is a contributing editor of Hong Kong Civil Procedure since 2007. On top of that, he is a frequent speaker in seminars on company law. Most recently, Jenkin marks his achievement in the field of company law by co-authoring Shareholders’ Rights and Remedies in Hong Kong (2011), the first practitioner text on the law of shareholders’ remedies in Hong Kong.
"Jenkin Suen of Des Voeux Chambers has a strong focus on commercial issues, as part of his larger corporate practice. One peer says he is "very dedicated, and goes the extra mile for his clients." He is also noted by sources for his high level of activity and regular court appearances."
Chambers & Partners 2016 (Commercial Dispute Resolution)
- Co-Author of Shareholders’ Rights and Remedies in Hong Kong (LexisNexis, 2011)
- Contributing Author of Company Law in Hong Kong - Practice and Procedure (Sweet & Maxwell)
- Contributing Editor of Hong Kong Civil Procedure (2007 till now)
- Speaker on “Practice and Procedure of Minority Shareholder Remedies”, “The Law and Practice of Meetings” and “Schemes of Arrangement” in various seminars hosted by LexisNexis and the Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries
- Fully Profit (Asia) Ltd v The Secretary for Justice, HCMP 82/2010, 21 April 2011. Representing the Director of Lands (as junior of Ms Audrey Eu SC) in an action brought by a developer on the construction of government lease. The developer’s claim was dismissed in the end.
- First Appeal under the Urban Renewal Authority Ordinance. Successfully representing the Secretary for Development in dismissing the first appeal brought under such ordinance in respect of a development project.
- Super Cruise Ltd v The Registrar of Companies, HCMP 1893/2009, 17 June 2010. Successfully defending the Registrar of Companies in an application brought under section 348 of the Companies Ordinance.
- Wong Kwok Learn Baldwin v International Trading Co Ltd  2 HKLRD 334 (CA). Successful appeal (as junior of Mr Horace Wong SC) on a claim for shares tainted by illegality in reliance of the principle of resulting trust.
- Re Lehman Brothers Securities Asia Ltd (No 2)  1 HKLRD 58. A case concerning statutory interpretation and the principles on assessment of remuneration of provisional liquidators in a mega insolvency case.
- Re Sweetmart Garment Works Ltd  5 HKLRD 220. Representing the Official Receiver (as junior of Mr Jat Sew-Tong SC) in a case concerning the remuneration of provisional liquidators appointed by the Official Receiver pursuant to section 194(1A) of the Companies Ordinance.
- Re Sanliuyidu (Hong Kong) Sports Goods Co Ltd  4 HKLRD 708. Successfully obtaining relief under sections 111 and 122 of the Companies Ordinance to facilitate the IPO of the Sanliuyidu group.
- HSBC Private Trust (Hong Kong) Ltd v Au Yeung Chung, CACV 69/2008, 26 February 2009; HCA 1662/2001, 28 October 2008. Successfully representing the trustee in the first instance trial and on appeal in an adverse possession case
- A v R  3 HKLRD 389. Successfully obtaining an order for the enforcement of an arbitral award under the New York Convention
- Ng Wai Ling v Chan Ping Fai Ricky  1 HKLRD 447. Successfully defending a striking out application in a minority shareholders’ action.
- Re Chime Corp Ltd (2004) 7 HKCFAR 546. Representing the petitioners (as junior of Mr Robert Hildyard QC) in the Court of Final Appeal on an important question of company law concerning the scope of relief under section 168A of the Companies Ordinance.
- The Middle Temple Scholarship (2004)
- Des Voeux Chambers Scholarship (2004)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship for Overseas Studies (2001)
- Johnson, Stokes & Master Scholarship in Law (1999)
- The Hong Kong University Alumni Prize (1999)
- Simon KY Lee Medal in Law (1999)
- Stikeman Elliot Prize in International Trade Law (1999)
- APAA Prize in Intellectual Property Law (1999)
- Lovell White Durrant Scholarship in Law (1998)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Scholarship (1998)
- Johnson, Stokes & Master Prize in Law of Tort (1997)
- Sir Man Kam Lo/Jardine Scholarship (1997-99)
- King Edward VII Scholarship (1996–99)
- Li Po Chun Scholarship (1996-99)