Prior to joining the Bar, Joseph had graduated from the LL.M. at Harvard University and BCL at the University of Oxford. He had previously obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration (double major in Finance and Accounting) at HKUST and read law in the Juris Doctor programme at CUHK.
Joseph joined Des Voeux Chambers as a tenant in 2015. He is developing a broad civil and commercial practice. He has been involved in a wide range of cases including commercial disputes, trusts, probate, land, company and corporate insolvency matters. He has also been frequently instructed to work on injunction matters on an urgent basis. He has given legal opinions to various entities including multi-national companies and HK-listed companies for compliance, SFC-regulatory and other purposes. He is fluent in the Chinese language and has experience dealing with contentious work in Chinese.
Joseph is currently a member of the Special Committee on China Practice Development in the Hong Kong Bar Association.
- Bar Scholarship (2014)
- Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship (2014)
- China Oxford Honorary Award, China Oxford Scholarship Fund (2012/13)
- Joint Law Society of Hong Kong / Bloomsbury Books Prize (2011/12)
- Dean’s List Award – CUHK (2010/11)
- Juris Doctor Gold Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2010/11)
- Juris Doctor Gold Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2009/10)
- Bank of China (HK) Foundation – HKUST Scholarship Program (2006/07)
- Bank of China (HK) Foundation – HKUST Scholarship Program (2005/06)
- Dean’s List Awards – HKUST (Fall 2004/05, Spring 2004/05, Fall 2005/06)
- China Art Bank Company Limited v Xu Zhiqiang (HCA 2178 & 2543 / 2015; 1 June 2017; 26 July 2017) (CAMP 12/2017; 7 February 2018) – Sole advocate in discharge of Mareva injunction, consolidation and security for costs applications; opposing applications for leave to appeal before the Court of First Instance and Court of Appeal)
- Poon Chi Hang v Lai Ho Sun (HCMP 1020/2013; 5 May 2017) (CACV 119/2017; 20 December 2017) – Sole advocate in a 3-day trial involving an adverse possession claim; led by Dr William Wong SC in the substantive appeal
- SNE Engineering Co Ltd v Chim Kee Machinery Co Ltd (HCA 2025/2012; 24 March 2016) (CACV 101/2016; 15 July 2016; 11 July 2017) (led by Mr Ian Pennicott SC) –Involved in a 6-day trial on a construction-related contractual dispute; opposing application for stay of execution of judgment pending appeal; substantive appeal hearing)
- Lo Kwong Hung & Anor v The Registrar of Companies  1 HKLRD 173 (with Mr Christopher Chain) – a case involving questions on construction of the word “creditor” and standing of the applicants under s.765(1) Companies Ordinance (Cap 622) regarding restoration of companies which have previously been struck off
- Chen Mei Lan & Anor v The Registrar of Companies & Ors (HCMP 894/2015; 30 December 2016) (with Ms Rachel Lam) – Involved in a 3-day trial involving disputes over shareholdings and directorships of a company and allegations of fraud and forgery
- Hong Kong Huihuang Industrial Company Limited (CACV 144/2016; 25 October 2016) – Sole advocate before a 3-member panel in the Court of Appeal; an appeal against a striking-out decision based on the principle of res judicata
- Chen Mei Lan & Anor v The Registrar of Companies & Ors  1 HKLRD 924 (with Ms Rachel Lam) – a case involving application of the rule in Hollington v Hewthorn regarding the admissibility of foreign convictions in subsequent civil proceedings
- Lee Sing Leung Robin v Luk Wing Kwong Quintin (HCA 1890/2010; 13 August 2015) (led by Mr Anson Wong SC and with Mr Yang-Wahn Hew) – Involved in a 4-day trial involving a securities-related commercial dispute
- Member, Special Committee on China Practice Development, Hong Kong Bar Association