Prior to joining the Bar, Joseph had graduated from the LL.M. at Harvard University and BCL at the University of Oxford. He had previously obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration (double major in Finance and Accounting) at HKUST and read law in the Juris Doctor programme at CUHK.
Joseph joined Des Voeux Chambers as a tenant in 2015. He is developing a broad civil and commercial practice. He has been involved in a wide range of cases including commercial disputes, trusts, probate, land, company and corporate insolvency matters. He is fluent in the Chinese language and has experience dealing with contentious work in Chinese.
Joseph is currently a member of the Special Committee on China Practice Development in the Hong Kong Bar Association.
- Bar Scholarship (2014)
- Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship (2014)
- China Oxford Honorary Award, China Oxford Scholarship Fund (2012/13)
- Joint Law Society of Hong Kong / Bloomsbury Books Prize (2011/12)
- Dean’s List Award – CUHK (2010/11)
- Juris Doctor Gold Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2010/11)
- Juris Doctor Gold Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2009/10)
- Bank of China (HK) Foundation – HKUST Scholarship Program (2006/07)
- Bank of China (HK) Foundation – HKUST Scholarship Program (2005/06)
- Dean’s List Awards – HKUST (Fall 2004/05, Spring 2004/05, Fall 2005/06)
- SNE Engineering Co Ltd v Chim Kee Machinery Co Ltd HCA 2025/2012 (24 March 2016) (led by Mr Ian Pennicott SC) – Acted for the Defendant in a 6-day trial involving a construction-related contractual dispute; Successful in defending all of Plaintiff’s claims and counterclaiming in excess of HK$8 million with costs
- Lee Sing Leung Robin v Luk Wing Kwong Quintin HCA 1890/2010 (13 August 2015) (led by Mr Anson Wong SC and with Mr Yang-Wahn Hew) – Acted for the Defendant in a 4-day trial involving a securities-related commercial dispute; Successful in defending all of Plaintiff’s claims with costs
- China Art Bank Co Ltd v Xu Zhiqiang HCA 2543/2015 (6 November 2015) – Acted for the Defendant; Successful in limiting the scope of disclosure under an ex parte Mareva injunction
- Chan Mei Lan & Anor v The Registrar of Companies & Ors HCMP 894/2015 (19 November 2015) (with Ms Rachel Lam) – Acted for the 3rd and 4th Defendants; Successful in resisting summary determination and converting the matter into an action as if commenced by writ
- Wong Pik Ha v 源發大廈業主立案發團 LDBM 193/2015 (7 December 2015) – Acted for the Defendant in an application to transfer the matter to the District Court
- Commercial Arbitration (with Mr Alan Kwong) – Successful in a trial involving commercial disputes in the context of international logistics businesses
- Member, Special Committee on China Practice Development, Hong Kong Bar Association