Mairead has an extremely busy matrimonial and commercial practice. She was brought up in Hong Kong where she attended school before moving to London where she gained a law degree from London University and completed pupillage at 2 Harcourt Buildings, Chambers of Roger Henderson QC. She completed further pupillage in Hong Kong with Winston Poon S.C and The Honourable Chief Justice Geoffrey Ma.
Mairead joined Des Voeux Chambers in 1991 and has acted for clients such as HSBC, Cartier, Mansion House, Sun Alliance, Paramount Publishing, Shun Shing Construction and Samsung Corporation among others. She has also given expert opinions on Hong Kong law for use in overseas courts.
Mairead has extensive expertise in Matrimonial Law including:
- Forum and Jurisdiction
- All forms of Ancillary Relief including cases involving pre and post nuptial settlements, companies, trusts and trustees as third parties
- Advising trustees in ancillary relief proceedings
- Children Cases: Custody, Care and Control, Access, Removal, Wardship and Hague Convention cases.
Mairead is also experienced in Company and Insolvency law including:
- Advising and representing parties to winding up proceedings, including creditor’s petitions, just and equitable petitions and public interest petitions
- Reductions of Capital
- Schemes of Arrangement, including Insurance Schemes and Schemes in Insolvency
- Minority shareholder actions
- Interlocutory applications in winding up petitions, including appointment of provisional liquidators and interim receivers, applications for injunctions, applications pursuant to sections 182 and 290 of the Companies Ordinance
- Advising and representing parties in most forms of commercial disputes.
"Mairead Rattigan of Des Voeux Chambers enjoys an excellent reputation as one of the field's best-known juniors, earning praise for being "very knowledgeable on the law and client-friendly." She focuses on a variety of matrimonial cases involving financial issues, including prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, as well as handling child matters."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific 2016 (Family/ Matrimonial)
Has given frequent lectures to practitioners on various aspects of Matrimonial Law and on Capital restructuring of companies including reductions of capital and schemes of arrangement
Contributing Editor “Hong Kong Family Law Practice & Mediation”