Mairead is a senior junior Counsel with a strong company/commercial background and has developed an extremely busy matrimonial practice.
Mairead joined Des Voeux Chambers in 1991 and has acted for clients such as HSBC, Cartier, Mansion House, Sun Alliance, Paramount Publishing, Shun Shing Construction and Samsung Corporation among others. She has also given expert opinions on Hong Kong matromonial law for use in overseas courts.
Mairead has extensive expertise in Matrimonial Law including:
- Forum and Jurisdiction
- All forms of Ancillary Relief including cases involving pre and post nuptial settlements, companies, trusts and trustees as third parties
- Advising trustees in ancillary relief proceedings
- Children Cases: Custody, Care and Control, Access, Removal, Wardship and Hague Convention cases.
- Multijurisdictional disputes including financial and children's proceedings.
Mairead is also experienced in Company and Insolvency law including:
- Advising and representing parties to winding up proceedings, including creditor’s petitions, just and equitable petitions and public interest petitions
- Reductions of Capital
- Schemes of Arrangement, including Insurance Schemes and Schemes in Insolvency
- Minority shareholder actions
- Interlocutory applications in winding up petitions, including appointment of provisional liquidators and interim receivers, applications for injunctions, applications pursuant to sections 182 and 290 of the Companies Ordinance
- Advising and representing parties in most forms of commercial disputes.
Mairead Rattigan of Des Voeux Chambers operates across the full family law spectrum, handling both financial and child-related issues, one interviewee characterising her as a "very experienced" practitioner who is "very popular among family law solicitors because she can address all the different aspects." She is further described as a "very fair and pleasant opponent" and "someone you’ll hear no criticism of" in the family/matrimonial sphere. She acted for the respondent father in N v W, a notably intractable custody and appropriate split of time case with complex financial dimensions.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2018)
"Mairead Rattigan of Des Voeux Chambers is widely recognised as one of the most experienced lawyers handling family matters at the junior Bar, maintaining a broad practice area with key strengths in child custody and ancillary relief. She is singled out by sources as a "firm advocate who fights her corner appropriately.""
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2017)
In 2016 and 2017 Mairead Rattigan was recognised as a Preeminent Junior Counsel by Doyle’s for her expertise in Hong Kong Family & Divorce Law.
Doyle's 2016, 2017
Has given frequent lectures to practitioners on various aspects of Matrimonial Law and on Capital restructuring of companies including reductions of capital and schemes of arrangement
Contributing Editor “Hong Kong Family Law Practice & Mediation”