Douglas Lam S.C. was a management consultant with the Hong Kong office of McKinsey & Company before he joined the Bar in 1999. He is an English, Cantonese and Mandarin speaker.
His practice specialises in cross-border commercial litigation and company and corporate insolvency matters. He has acted in numerous contract and shareholder disputes involving Mainland Chinese and foreign parties, winding-up petitions, and applications arising out of the liquidations of companies.
He also advises and appears regularly as counsel in banking and securities disputes, regulatory matters involving the Securities and Futures Commission, contentious trust and probate matters, commodities contract disputes, insurance and shipping related litigation and arbitrations.
In recent years, has also been instructed regularly in complex disputes concerning the division of family assets in matrimonial proceedings, particularly those involving issues of constructive trust and asset tracing.
He was appointed Senior Counsel on 2nd May 2015.
He is also an accredited mediator.
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is described by one interviewee as a "very experienced practitioner and natural advocate with a very busy commercial and arbitration practice," other sources stressing his "very smooth advocacy" and "very accommodating and patient manner with clients and solicitors," one adding that "he is well liked by the court because his submissions are very realistic and full of common sense." Particularly well known for his handling of cross-border commercial disputes, he acted successfully for Merrill Lynch International Bank and Merrill Lynch (Asia Pacific) in High Court appellate proceedings in which the moneylender plaintiffs contention that they were due damages for a supposed negligent misstatement on the part of Merrill Lynch was dismissed with costs.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2019)
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is identified by interviewees as a "young, very enthusiastic and very hard-working silk," recommended as "a safe pair of hands" across a broad range of cross-border commercial litigation and domestic company law issues. One source observes that "his sensible and straightforward style of advocacy is very effective - especially in trial."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2018)
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is a highly regarded junior silk who combines his broad, cross-border commercial litigation capability, specialisation in insolvency issues and reputation as a persuasive advocate with a "very good track record of winning trials." Sources commend his "availability to do things at very short notice and turn an urgent matter around very quickly."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2017)
- Deputy Judge of the High Court (March - April 2017, January-February 2018)
- Chairperson of the Insurance Appeals Tribunal (IAT) (2017-present)
- Chairman of the Buildings Appeal Tribunal (2015 - present)
- Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Appeals Board (2016 - present)
- Member of the Independent Police Complaints Council (2017 - present), Chairman of the Legal Committee (2018 - present)
- Member of the SFC Disciplinary Chair Committee (2018 - present)
- Member of the Estate Agents Authority (2016 - present)
- Member of the Special Committee of the Bar Association on Overseas Admissions (Civil) (2013 – present) and the Investment Committee (2015 - present)
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
- Awarded "Barrister of the Year" at the 2017 Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards held on 28 September 2017
- Middle Temple Society of Hong Kong Scholarship (2000-2001)