Douglas Lam S.C. was a management consultant with the Hong Kong office of McKinsey & Company before he joined the Bar in 1999. He is an English, Cantonese and Mandarin speaker.
His practice specialises in cross-border commercial litigation and company and corporate insolvency matters. He has acted in numerous contract and shareholder disputes involving Mainland Chinese and foreign parties, winding-up petitions, and applications arising out of the liquidations of companies.
He also advises and appears regularly as counsel in banking and securities disputes, regulatory matters involving the Securities and Futures Commission, contentious trust and probate matters, commodities contract disputes, insurance and shipping related litigation and arbitrations.
In recent years, has also been instructed regularly in complex disputes concerning the division of family assets in matrimonial proceedings, particularly those involving issues of constructive trust and asset tracing.
He was appointed Senior Counsel on 2nd May 2015.
He is also an accredited mediator.
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is identified by interviewees as a "young, very enthusiastic and very hard-working silk," recommended as "a safe pair of hands" across a broad range of cross-border commercial litigation and domestic company law issues. One source observes that "his sensible and straightforward style of advocacy is very effective - especially in trial."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2018)
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is a highly regarded junior silk who combines his broad, cross-border commercial litigation capability, specialisation in insolvency issues and reputation as a persuasive advocate with a "very good track record of winning trials." Sources commend his "availability to do things at very short notice and turn an urgent matter around very quickly."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2017)
"Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers recently took silk and is complimented by one source as "someone I’d lose sleep over if I was up against him," while another praises him as "a safe pair of hands." He specialises in company and insolvency litigation, though he is also instructed on contentious securities, banking and insurance matters. He additionally acts as a mediator."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2016)
- Deputy Judge of the High Court (January-February 2018)
- Chairperson of the Insurance Appeals Tribunal (IAT) (2017-present)
- Deputy Judge of the High Court (March-April 2017)
- Chairman of the Buildings Appeal Tribunal (2015 - present)
- Chairman of the Transport Tribunal (2015 – 2017)
- Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Appeals Board (2016 - present)
- Member of the Independent Police Complaints Council (2017 - present)
- Member of the Board of Advisers of Radio Television Hong Kong (2016 - present)
- Member of the Estate Agents Authority (2016 - present)
- Deputy Judge of the District Court (October - November 2014)
- Member of the Special Committee of the Bar Association on Overseas Admissions (Civil) (2013 – present) and the Investment Committee (2015 - present)
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
- Awarded "Barrister of the Year" at the 2017 Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards held on 28 September 2017
- Middle Temple Society of Hong Kong Scholarship (2000-2001)