Practised from DVC between 1984 and 1989. Practised from Keating Chambers, the leading construction set in the UK, from 1989 to date. Returned to full time practice at DVC in 2010. Extensive experience in all aspects of (i) arbitration law and procedure both as advocate and arbitrator, (ii) building, engineering and construction litigation and arbitration, (iii) negligence claims against construction professionals (architects, engineers, project managers and building/quantity surveyors and (iii) the law as it applies to the environment.
Comments from recent editions of Chambers & Partners include: ‘hardworking and very approachable’... ‘unstuffy and informal’.... ‘trusted performer’. Recommended in ‘International Arbitration’ in Chambers Asia 2010 and 2011, ‘Commercial Dispute Resolution’ 2016.
Ian Pennicott QC of Des Voeux Chambers is a "specialist construction silk," renowned for his stamina in "big cases that last a long time" and a "common-sense, extremely user-friendly" approach that "helps turn a complicated matter into a simple one." He advocates in both the litigation and arbitration of construction issues and is also a prominent arbitrator. He lately represented Chim Kee Machinery in High Court appellate proceedings concerning a dispute with SNE Engineering, arising out of the construction of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2018)
"Ian Pennicott QC of Des Voeux Chambers offers long-standing experience as a specialist construction litigator and is also active in the construction arbitration sphere. Described as "succinct, hard-working and easy to work with," he recently represented China State Construction in inquiry proceedings concerning water contamination at a number of Hong Kong housing estates."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2017)
Ian Pennicott SC has been recognised as Leading Senior Counsel in Hong Kong’s Construction and Barristers list in the 2017 edition of Doyles.
- Contributor to Keating on ’Building/Construction Contracts’ (5th to 8th Editions).
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Building Contracts’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Fuel and Energy’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Cross Country Pipelines’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Building’ and ‘Building Contracts’ (5th Edition).
- Consulting Editor to forthcoming Halsbury’s Laws of England 'Energy' (5th Edition').
- MCIArb (UK)
- Member of the Technology and Construction Bar Association (UK)
- Member of the Commercial Bar Association (UK)
- Member of the Society of Construction Law (UK & Hong Kong)
- Panel of Arbitrators, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre