John Scott SC is head of Des Voeux Chambers and has an extensive practice as an advocate and international arbitrator. He has been involved in many substantial trials and arbitration hearings in Hong Kong and in the region. In addition, Mr. Scott has an active practice in non-contentious company matters, such as Company Schemes of Arrangement and Reductions of Capital. Mr. Scott has recently been appointed Chairman of the Standing Committee on Company Law Reform. Mr. Scott is ranked as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution in the Chambers Global Guide.
Mr. Scott is also a board tenant at 4 Stone Buildings Lincoln’s Inn in London.
"John Scott SC of Des Voeux Chambers is a respected practitioner with an enviable reputation, described by sources as both "very experienced" and "good on his feet." His key practice areas include contentious company law, banking and construction issues."
Chambers & Partners 2016 (Commercial Dispute Resolution)
- Chairman of HKSAR Telecommunications (Competition Provisions) Appeal Board
- Member of HKICPA Disciplinary Panel A
- Member of HKSAR Barristers Disciplinary Tribunal Panel
- Bencher of the Middle Temple
- Chairman of Standing Committee on Company Law Reform
- Securities And Futures Commission v Cheung Keng Ching & Ors  4 HKC 453. Company law - Directors - Disqualification of Directors
- Re Wheelock Properties Ltd  4 HKLRD 587. Company law - Scheme of arrangement - Privatisation of public listed company
- Tadjudin Sunny v Bank of America NA  4 HKLRD 662. Employment Contract – Implied term
- Peconic Industrial Development Ltd v Lau Kwok Fai & Ors (2009) 12 HKCFAR 139. Limitation of Actions - Fraud - Whether non-fiduciary is a constructive trustee and can plead limitation defence
- Sanyuan Group Ltd v Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Ltd  5 HKC 124. Stock Exchange - Company delisted because of insufficient level of operations/value of assets
- Securities And Futures Commission v C & Ors  4 HKC 167. Stock Exchange - Insider dealing - Provisional remedies
- Re PCCW Ltd  3 HKC 292. Company law - Privatisation of listed company
- Kensland Realty Ltd (In Liq) v Tai, Tang & Chong (A Firm) (2008) 11 HKCFAR 237;  3 HKC 90. Limitation of Actions - Tort
- McDonald and Golden Dynasty Enterprises Ltd  5 HKLRD 569. Receivership: Cross-boarder Insolvency – Authority of Receivers
- Re Almojil 61 HCAJ 9/2013 (20th June 2014). Shipping Law: Jurisdiction to bring in rem claim, beneficial ownership of vessel
- S v L  5 HKC 217. Recusal - Comments of judge in matrimonial case.
- Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Ltd v New World Development Co Ltd & Ors  2 HKLRD 518. Judicial review - Whether Disciplinary Committee of Stock Exchange ‘a court’ within meaning of art 35 of Basic Law.
- A Solicitor (23/05) v Law Society Of Hong Kong  2 HKLRD 116; (2006) 9 HKCFAR 175. Solicitor ordered to disclose documents for inspection by Council of Law Society - Non-disclosure on grounds of LPP
- Bill Chao Keh Lung v Don Xia (2004) 7 HKCFAR 260. Leave to appeal to Court of Final Appeal - appeal as of right under s.22(1)(a)
- Re Kansa General International Insurance Co. Ltd. (In Compulsory Liquidation)  3 HKLRD 94. Company law - Scheme of arrangement - Grounds on which court to sanction scheme
- Re CDCP International Ltd  2 HKC 324. Company law - Winding-up - Inability of company to pay debts - Mortgage debenture
- “Removal of an Arbitrator for Misconduct” (1989) 5 Con. L.J. 185
- “The Arbitration Ordinance Amendments” The New Gazette June 1991
- “Particularising the Pregnant Negative” The New Gazette September 1991
- Getting to Grips with Arbitration Amendments” (1990) New Gaz. 23
- “Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong” Vol. 1 Arbitration Section (co-author)
- “Butterworths Practical Insolvency Handbook” (co-author)
- “Chitty on Contracts” Hong Kong Specific Contracts: Reviewing Editor (2004)
- “Company Law in Hong Kong: Insolvency” General Editor (2006)
- “Hong Kong Construction Law” General Editor (2008)
- Schemes of Arrangement and Reductions of Capital
- Halsbury’s Laws: Arbitration Ordinance Cap. 609 (co-author)