Alex graduated from the University of Oxford in 2005 and trained as a solicitor with Allen & Overy in 2006. He qualified as a corporate associate in 2008 and worked for 2 years with Latham & Watkins in Hong Kong, specializing in Listing Rules compliance and equity offerings.
In 2011, Alex decided to join the Bar. Since then he has been involved in a wide variety of cases. These include listco, fund and other company disputes, company, insolvency/bankruptcy, commercial, matrimonial, and probate and contempt matters before Arbitral Tribunals and all levels of Court.
He is a Contributing Editor to Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2008 - 2019) - published in 2020 by DVC in collaboration with Kluwer.
Alexander is described as "a very worthy opponent" and praised for being "a very down-to-earth counsel who is well liked by solicitors." He also receives commendation for being "a very able, bright and diligent junior barrister," while additionally being characterised as "a good, intelligent advocate who keeps an eye on the overarching litigation strategy." He operates across a broad spectrum of company and commercial disputes, in which shareholder and insolvency-related matters figure particularly prominently, and is also active on probate and matrimonial cases.
Chambers & Partners Greater China Region (2022)
'He is bright and diligent.' Alexander Tang is recommended as a Leading Junior for Commercial Disputes.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific HK Bar (2022)
"A very able, bright and diligent junior barrister." Alexander Tang is commended as a Leading Junior for Commercial Disputes.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific HK Bar (2021)
- Middle Temple Advocacy Scholarship (2012)
- JAC Hui Bon Hua Prize in Commercial Law and Practice
Listco, Fund and other Company Disputes
- Joe Zhixiong Zhou v SAIF Partners II LP  HKCFA 9;  HKCA 766 – Private Equity Fund (SAIF Fund II) Partnership Dispute
- Disputes surrounding China Shanshui Cement Group Limited  HKCFI 1170,  HKCFI 2720, 2121;  HKCFI 1184, 1170, 1042, 195, 194 - Battle for Control over Listco
- Disputes surrounding China City Construction (International) Co Ltd  HKCFI 355;  HKCFI 2537,  HKCFI 1644 - Dispute over Joint Venture
- HKIAC/A18180 - HKIAC Arbitration before Mr. Anthony Neoh SC, the Hon. Robert Tang and Mr. Daniel Fung SC, JP - PRC company law dispute
- Basab Inc. v Superb Glory Holdings Ltd (FAMV 16/2017, 24 August 2017) – Reinforcement of Charge over Listco shares - Reflective Loss Principle
- To Pui Kui v Hultucktong Co Ltd (FAMV 10,50/2015, 1 April 2016, HCA 51/2007, 6 January 2016) – Family shareholding dispute
- Re Asia Television Limited  1 HKLRD 607 – Shareholders’ dispute
- Grand Field Group Holdings Limited v Chu King Fai (HCA 771/2009, 17 June 2014) - breach of fiduciary duties by Listco directors
- Re China Silver Asset Management (Hong Kong) Ltd/Re Frank Dominick  HKCFI 1028,  HKCFI 406 - Winding-Up of Fund Management Company / Guarantor
- Re C Mahendra Exports (HK) Ltd  HKCFI 1556 - Winding-Up based on Henderson abuse when Previous Injunction against Winding-Up dismissed by consent
- Re Cai Sui Rong  HKCFI 514 - Bankruptcy - Cross-Examination Order
- Re Cai Sui Xin  6 HKC 329 - Bankruptcy - Jurisdiction
- Re CW Advanced Technologies Ltd  3 HKLRD 552 – Winding-up – Recognition of Foreign Insolvency Proceedings
- Re China Solar Energy Holdings Limited  2 HKLRD 338 – Winding-up – Principles re appointing Provisional Liquidators in an award-winning case that changed the landscape
- Re Shandong Chenming Paper Holdings Ltd  HKCFI 93, (HCMP 3060/2016, 17 October 2017), pending appeal - jurisdiction to wind-up foreign company with listing status in Hong Kong
- Re Silver Faith Holdings Limited  HKCFI 403, 41; (HCCW 111/2014, 18 October 2017) - Security for Costs
- Re G Ltd  1 HKLRD 167 Hong Kong Court assistance of Foreign Provisional Liquidators
Mareva/Proprietary Injunctions and Contempt Proceedings
- Essilor Manufacturing (Thailand) Co Ltd v Wong Kam Wai  HKCA 351 - Mareva/Proprietary Injunction
- China Metal Recycling v Chun Chi Wai  1 HKLRD 455 - Alleged Breach of Receivership/Injunction Order; Breach of Unless Order/Relief from Sanction
- 歌斐資产管理有限公司 v Yang Kai (HCMP 703/2017, 4 July 2017) - Discharge of 21M Injunction
- Wu Yang v Dayuan International Development Ltd (HCCW 103/2015, 2 April 2015) – shareholders dispute / Mareva injunction
- Leung Chung Ching Edwin v The Estate of Leung On Mei, Amy  1 HKLRD 109 (CA) – Non-Party Costs Orders
- Li Shu Chung v Stevenson Wong & Co  5 HKLRD 336 - Taxation of Solicitors’ Bills
- China Construction Bank (Asia) v Shanghai Pudong Development Bank (CACV 14/2016, 26 May 2017) – Dispute re Letters of Credit
- Lee Bing Fai Stephen v Hong Kong Automobile Association (HCA 25/2015, 4 December 2015) – sports law – stay of Court proceedings in favour of local proceedings
- SIAC ARB090/12/MJL - SIAC Arbitration before Mr. John Champion - Trade Dispute
- Cheng Ngar Man, Angela v Vishal Prakash Melwani (CACV 274/2013, 5 October 2015) - Dispute over Family Assets
- Yeung Kwok Keung Dennis v Chiropractors Council of Hong Kong (CACV 104/2014, 11 May 2015) – appeal from Chiropractors Council – medical negligence
- Z v Z (HCMC 6/2011, 3 October 2012) – family law - jurisdiction
- Contributing Editor to Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2008 - 2019) - published in 2020 by DVC in collaboration with Kluwer
- Speaker on “Winding Up Companies in Hong Kong: Overview and Current Issues” (with Ms. Ebony Ling and Mr. Jason Yu)