Douglas Lam SC was a management consultant with the Hong Kong office of McKinsey & Company before he joined the Hong Kong Bar in 1999. He is fluent in Cantonese and Putonghua.
Mr Lam SC’s practice specialises in complex cross-border commercial litigation and arbitration and in high-value contentious trust and probate disputes. His clients include many of the largest institutions and investment funds in the world as well as prominent high-net-worth individuals and families across Hong Kong and Asia.
Mr Lam SC also advises and appears regularly as leading counsel and as arbitrator in complex shareholders, banking, securities, commodities and investment disputes.
In recent years, Mr Lam SC has also successfully led a number of high profile cases involving the enforcement and setting aside of international and Mainland Chinese arbitration awards in Hong Kong.
Recent successful cases include:
- Successfully represented family beneficiaries in removing the executor of a prominent multi-billion dollar estate in Hong Kong for breach of fiduciary duty including breach of the self-dealing and fair dealing rules after a contentious 9-day trial.See: Ng Rose Kai Chan (吳梁佳貞) & Ors v Liang Yum Shing Howard(梁欽聖) (in his personal capacity and as the executor and trustee of the estate of Liang Ting Sen Thomas (梁挺生), deceased)  HKCFI 1867.
- Successfully represented the matriarch of a high-net-worth family in dismissing a striking out application in a probate dispute concerning a complex tracing claim of the matriarch’s interest in the family business.See: Chan Suk Ying(陳淑英) v Lee Wai Ling Celine (as personal representatives of the Estate of Peter Lee Chak Ming) and Others  HKCFI 3085.
- Successfully represented a Mainland Chinese client to set aside the enforcement of a high-value award of the Chengdu Arbitration Commission concerning an investor put option (對賭協議)dispute on the grounds of lack of due process at the arbitral hearing. See Song Lihua v Lee Chee Hon HKCFI 2540; https://conventuslaw.com/report/enforcement-of-mainland-prc-award-refused-in-hong-kong-due-to-conduct-of-arbitrator-attending-by-video-conference/
- Successfully represented a high net worth individual in obtaining and upholding asset freezing and disclosure orders in excess of USD 100 million in aid of enforcement of a CIETAC arbitration award involving a high-profile dispute relating to shares of Tencent Music Entertainment Group. See: G v X HKCFI 829 &  HKCFI 1864
- Successfully represented AIG in dismissing a claim by a statutory body in the Court of Appeal pursuant to a multi-million dollar performance bond on the grounds that the demand for payment was defective. See:West Kowloon Cultural District Authority v AIG Insurance Hong Kong Limited HKCA 975.
- Successfully represented Reignwood International Investment Group Co., Ltd., a leading independent Chinese investment firm, in respect of a complex US$200 million dispute over a contract of performance guarantee that arose out of one of four shipbuilding contracts. The matter was awarded “Deal of the Year 2022” byChina Business Law Journal.
- Successfully represented Skyhigh Investment Limited, a wholly owned entity of New Horizon Capital Partners (新天域資本), one of the largest China-focused private equity funds in the world, in respect of a USD 65 million investment in Guangzhou Guocui Flowers (廣州國萃花卉交易有限公司). Successfully obtained in the Hong Kong court a worldwide Mareva injunction against founding shareholders in excess of USD 100 million in aid of arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong. SeeSkyhigh Investment Limited v Yu Jun and Others  HKCFI 913.
- Successfully represented Classroom Investments Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, one of the largest pensions funds in the world, in a USD 175 million investment in China Hospitals Inc., a private hospital group in Mainland China. Successfully obtained in the Hong Kong court worldwide Mareva and propriety injunctions against founding shareholders in the sum of USD 175 million in aid of arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong. Successfully obtained an arbitration award of over USD 230 million (information in public domain).
Memberships & Appointments
- Member of the Election Committee of the Hong Kong SAR (Legal Constituency)
- Deputy Judge of the High Court (March-April 2017, January-February 2018, October-December 2018 & June-Aug 2020, February-March 2021 & June-July 2022 )
- Chairperson of the Insurance Appeals Tribunal (IAT) (2017-2022)
- Chairman of the Buildings Appeal Tribunal (2015 – 2022)
- Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Appeals Board (2016 – 2022)
- Member of the Independent Police Complaints Council (2017 – 2022), Chairman of the Legal Committee (2018 – 2022)
- Member of the SFC Disciplinary Chair Committee (2018 – 2022)
- Member of the Estate Agents Authority (2016 – 2022)
- Member of the Special Committee of the Bar Association on Overseas Admissions (Civil) (2013 – 2022) and the Investment Committee (2015 – 2022)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) List of Arbitrators
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
Scholarships and Awards
- Awarded “Barrister of the Year” at the 2017 Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards held on 28 September 2017
- Middle Temple Society of Hong Kong Scholarship (2000-2001)
Specific Areas of Expertise
Chancery, Securites Law